POSITIONS WITH GROUNDWORK USA
There are no positions open at this time.
POSITIONS WITH GROUNDWORK TRUSTS
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS, GROUNDWORK HUDSON VALLEY
The Director of Community Relations is responsible for implementing community outreach programs, organizing events, coordinating volunteers, writing and releasing publicity material, and developing public relations strategies that will promote the organization’s mission. Responsibilities include 1) engaging community members to address neighborhood environmental challenges and ensure community voices remain central to the design and development of Groundwork’s programs; 2) creating and managing a robust volunteer engagement program to build Groundwork’s capacity; and 3) developing and implementing public relations efforts to increase Groundwork’s local, regional, and national visibility.
- Attend regular community meetings and neighborhood events to represent Groundwork and understand community needs and interests;
- Recruit community members to expand local environmental actions and preserve a democratic, participatory process within Groundwork’s programs and projects;
- Assist community members in a listening process in order to identify neighborhood themes and individuals/organizations to solve neighborhood challenges;
- Conduct research to find potential solutions to neighborhood challenges;
- Provide community training and organization to solve problems with multiplestakeholders and partners.
- Coordinate and sustain all aspects of internal and external communications, including news media relations, a diverse array of print/electronic publications, web site, and social media initiatives;
- Establish, nurture, and maintain positive external relationships with individuals, businesses, and community-based organizations;
- Arrange for interviews with personnel for print and broadcast media and for special events;
- Compose correspondence, media messages, articles, press releases, event flyers, announcements, presentations and other oral/written communications;
- Act as liaison with the media;
- Coordinate the creation and implementation of all collateral materials for the organization including photo, video and print promotional materials;
- Develop and track outcomes, and develop plans of action for improvement based on the assessment of those outcomes.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization;
- Survey staff regularly to assess needs for volunteer assistance and maintain a schedule of volunteer opportunities;
- Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service;
- Organize and participate in all volunteer events;
- Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate;
- Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation;
- Recruit, interview and place applicants for volunteer work;
- Host and attend recruiting events within the community to attract qualified candidates and publicize opportunities for volunteers;
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers;
- Handle telephone, voicemail, written, and e-mail inquiries for information regarding volunteers;
- Track all volunteer activity through client management software system;
- Build relationships with volunteers through service and follow up communication that results in return visits
Experience & Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 4-6 years of experience in community engagement, public relations, volunteer management and/or communications
- Fluency in Spanish and English languages
- Relational, likes people, works well with diverse populations, and is a good listener
- Has a passion for fairness and justice
- Self-directed and willing to take risks
- Willing to help develop others’ skills
- Self-confident, professional, good sense of humor, willing to learn, and be held accountable
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Knowledge of Yonkers communities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate clear, persuasive, and concise thoughts.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $60,000. Groundwork offers a generous benefits package for employees, including participation in our health insurance plan, 11 paid holidays per year, 15 paid vacation days per year, 7 paid sick days per year, and additional paid comp-time at the discretion of the Executive Director. We also offer a Simple IRA and access to TransitChek pretax transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Send a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this position to email@example.com. Please include résumé and writing sample.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws. City of Yonkers residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION MANAGER, GROUNDWORK HUDSON VALLEY
Groundwork’s Sustainability Education Manager is primarily responsible for developing and leading environmental education programs for students, teachers and other organized groups. Responsibilities include 1) Overseeing the development, implementation and evaluation of Groundwork’s education initiatives, 2) Leading a variety of environmental education programs at our place-based education facilities and in Yonkers Public Schools, and 3) general oversight of maintenance needs at our educational facilities including the Science Barge and Ecohouse. This position oversees all education programs to ensure they meet the highest standards of community service, educational quality, and risk management. Groundwork is looking for an experienced educator and manager with a commitment to place-based experiential learning. The ideal candidate is creative, professional, familiar with trends in science education, and possesses a strong work ethic. The Sustainability Education Manager will build on Groundwork’s reputation as a leading place-based educational organization and will engage in strategic planning, annual operational goals, and budget objectives. Supervised by the Director of Programs and Operations, the candidate must have motivation to grow professionally as a key staff member of a mission-driven non-profit organization.
- Serve as instructor and lead educator on all education related activities including place based education programs at the Science Barge and Ecohouse in warmer months; and in-school education during colder months;
- Review and update lesson plans and teaching materials;
- Manage field teaching materials and other professional development opportunities and references;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for school and other group inquiries, including oversight of booking schedule and calendar;
- Travel occasionally to represent Groundwork at professional conferences;
- Flexibility to work occasional weekend and evenings for special events.
- Oversee all education program staffing, curriculum content, measurement, and evaluation;
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate field instructors and interns; provide mentorship in teaching methods, content, leadership, and outdoor group management;
- Prepare materials to keep board and staff informed and engaged in the evaluation and evolution of education programs;
- Work with marketing and development staff on fundraising, particularly related to volunteer engagement, donor visits, and providing information for grant proposals and reports;
- Recruit schools, camps, after-school programs, etc. for Science Barge and Ecohouse programs;
- Maintain established organizational partnerships and look for new opportunities to collaborate to further our impact;
- Participate in strategic and annual planning with the leadership team;
- Work with the leadership team and Board of Trustees on vision, program direction, and educational facility planning;
- Play an active role in risk management, inter-office communications, special initiatives, and other duties as assigned.
- Oversee basic day to day maintenance of education facilities at the Science Barge and Ecohouse;
- Work with maintenance contractor to troubleshoot problems;
- Manage all greenhouse growing processes, including planting, administering nutrients, pest management, watering, harvesting, monitoring and resetting timers, repairing leaks, and all other aspects of hydroponic, aquaponics, and aeroponic growing systems;
- Manage the Science Barge water systems, green roof and wetlands; water cooler and waste collection systems;
- Manage the Science Barge and Ecohouse energy systems including operation of solar panels, wind turbines, Edison battery and Outback power mate, biodiesel generators and America’s Heat boiler heating system;
- Maintain the Ecohouse smart technology and audio systems;
- Respond to emergency maintenance issues and recruit relevant specialized vendors for electrical, plumbing, and other repair needs.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in a related field;
- Minimum of three years teaching experience – preferably leading and teaching environmental education in a place-based setting;
- Minimum of two years supervisory and program management experience;
- Mature individual with strong leadership abilities, interpersonal and facilitation skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive 15 passenger vans and trucks;
- Advanced degree preferred in Environmental Education or related field;
- Familiarity with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Social Emotional Learning (SEL), and trends in science education;
- Experience with multiple communications and data software systems (e.g. reservations software, CRM’s, Microsoft Office, Box, G Suite, etc.);
- Familiarity with Yonkers public schools systems and the environmental landscape of the lower Hudson Valley.