POSITIONS WITH GROUNDWORK USA
DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF CAPACITY BUILDING
Groundwork USA seeks a Deputy Director of Capacity Building to help lead its programs to support community-based strategies advancing equity, health and resilience in low-income neighborhoods across the nation.
Groundwork USA is the only network of local organizations devoted to transforming the natural and built environment of low-resource communities—a national enterprise with local roots, working at the intersection of the environment, equity and civic engagement. Through inclusive, meaningful community engagement and cross-sector collaboration, local Groundwork affiliates, called “Trusts,” transform neglected land and waterways into assets that low-income neighborhoods need to be healthy and resilient while building community capacity.
Groundwork USA supports this dynamic network and advances the field of equitable development through national technical assistance and learning network programs for local practitioners. Our work is supported by the US Environmental Protection Agency, the National Park Service, and other partners. Interested candidates should review our website, https://groundworkusa.org.
The Deputy Director of Capacity Building will help lead Groundwork USA’s network capacity building, equitable development technical assistance, and learning network programs. They will report to the Director of Capacity Building and be responsible for innovation and strategy development as well as shared leadership of existing program areas.
- Providing direct technical assistance, hosting workshops and training programs, presenting webinars, and producing tools and resources for practitioners.
- Playing a key role in our Brownfields Equitable Development and Urban Waters Learning Network teams.
- Representing Groundwork USA in national partnerships and diverse public settings.
- Through blog posts, articles, reports, grant proposals and other communications, advancing the state of practice and building support for Groundwork USA’s work.
- Developing new projects.
- Helping nurture a collaborative, high-performance culture in a geographically dispersed staff.
- Participating in project management, reporting, and development of new partner relationships.
- Contributing to Groundwork USA’s continued progress as an inclusive, culturally competent organization.
The preferred location for this position is Boston/Lawrence, Massachusetts, or New York City/Yonkers, New York. Remote work arrangements from Washington, DC and other locations will be considered. This is a full-time position, but Groundwork USA is committed to flexibility in arranging work schedules to balance work and family responsibilities.
The Deputy Director of Capacity Building needs to exhibit three key competencies:
- An understanding of challenges, meaningful community engagement practices and ways to effect positive change in low-resource communities, together with an ability to effectively engage individuals working on the ground in distant locations.
- An innovative, strategic orientation that enables Groundwork USA to achieve ever-increasing impact.
- Strong project management skills.
The Deputy Director of Capacity Building must have excellent oral and written communication skills, a demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, strong organizational skills and attention to detail, and a sense of humor. At least three years of relevant professional experience is required and a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., urban/regional planning) is preferred.
The expected salary range for this position is $75,000-85,000, commensurate with qualifications. Benefits include a SIMPLE IRA plan with employer match; health insurance; and generous vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by February 15, 2019, will be ensured full consideration. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted—your understanding is appreciated.
Groundwork USA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to maintaining and growing a diverse team, and an anti-racist organization committed to doing business in keeping with core values of relevance, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
POSITIONS WITH GROUNDWORK TRUSTS
RIVERS AND TRAILS PROGRAM MANAGER, GROUNDWORK HUDSON VALLEY
Groundwork Hudson Valley is seeking a Program Manager to initiate, lead, and implement a variety of programs and restoration projects throughout the City of Yonkers, NY, and the Saw Mill River watershed. Projects typically include a mix of renovation and new construction of parks, waterfront and riverfront trails and neighborhood vacant lots. Responsibilities of the Program Manager will include coordination of community, business, and government involvement to revitalize public places; coordination with other Groundwork staff where appropriate; communication with a diverse mix of public and non-profit partners; project management including oversight of project staff and subcontractors involved on projects; and preparation of project plans, budgets, and timelines.