The mission of the Groundwork USA network is to bring about the sustained regeneration, improvement and management of the physical environment by developing community-based partnerships which empower people, businesses and organizations to promote environmental, economic and social well-being.
The objectives of the Groundwork USA network are to:
- Increase the capacity of communities to improve and care for their local environment.
- Reclaim vacant and derelict lands for conservation, recreation and economic development.
- Clean up and care for neglected areas to signal community pride and rejuvenation.
- Return brownfields to economically productive use while restoring blighted landscapes with healthy environments.
- Integrate environmental education and job training into projects it undertakes.
- Engage business, government, non-profits and communities to work together for sustainable environmental care and enhancement.
- Support business, nonprofit, government and community efforts to improve their local environment.
- Raise the profile of urban environmental improvements as part of a comprehensive approach to smart growth strategies and rejuvenation of inner city communities.
- Insure projects look as good or better in five years as they do on the day of completion.